Teams and departments make your organization more accessible for the users. Furthermore, they help you structure your business and make the approval process even easier.
The main differences between teams and departments will be discussed in this article, a brief summary about what teams and departments do regarding seeing other users in the team calendar:
An employee can only be part of one department. All members of that department can see each others absences in the team calendar. In this way, departments are used to limit the view of an employee in the team calendar.
Teams are used to enhance the view of employees over departments. An employee can be a member of several teams. All Team members can see each others absences in the team calendar.
The admin roles (Owner, admin, hr) can always see all users in the calendar.
The basic function of Teams is to improve the structure of an organization.
1. To create a new team, click on "Add Team". For more information regarding this step, click here.
2. To edit a predefined team, click on the respective team name (e.g. Department managers).
3. Each individual user can be assigned to a desired team.
Departments work the same way as teams do. However, Users can only be assigned to one specific department.
1. To add a new department, click on "Add Department". For more information regarding this step, click here.
2. Click on the desired department to edit it (e.g. Customer Care Service).
3. As opposed to teams, you now have the option to assign one or more approver(s) for the entire department. (If no approver has been assigned to a department, the approver of an individual user will automatically receive their absence requests. If no approver has been assigned to the user at all, another approver within the organization will be assigned automatically. This is also the reason why absence.io will view all available approvers to a user, if he has no approver setup in his account.)
4. You can also assign assistants to a department. (Assistants can create absences and approvers can accept absence requests.)
5. Activate e-mail notifications by selecting either a specific user or an e-mail address.
That's it, now you know the most important differences between teams and departments!
Your absence.io team